Saturday, September 13, 2014

Sermon Notes

Pastor John was kind enough to call me and ask me to speak for a few minutes about the importance of individual worship.  Why do we come here on Sundays and sing the glory of God?  What's it for? What are we planning to get out of it?  What does God expect from us in worship?

Worship hasn't always been an integral part of my life.  It's actually fairly new.  I've been figuring out what my role is in worship for about 2 years now.  
If you didn't know.  I am a worship leader here.  I've been singing with the contemporary team for almost 2 years.
I've been singing since as far back as memory will serve me, and since that time I have always had a strange talent to emotionally connect with song lyrics.  I literally FEEL words when I sing them.  When I was a kid I could sing a Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey song like I wrote it.  

Like *I* was the woman (at 8 years old) who's lover had wronged her. **How will I know if he really love me??**  

When I attended my first contemporary service here, I was saved by divinity and that's when I knew my talent had shifted into my spiritual gift.  The lyrics of the Revelation Song dug into me "Who was, and is, and is to come"  and THAT is when I knew ... God is SO REAL!  It was like I was listening to music with a new set of ears .. but really I was listening to it with a new heart.

So I was in contact with the right people and I knew I needed to sing praise and worship to God.  I knew almost immediately it was time for me to give back through service.  
And the ONE day I talked to PJ and I told him I had an encounter with the Lord and He told me something big was happening for the continuation of my service and shortly after my position as a worship leader became full time.

Sooo that's tidbit about my history ... 

Moving on.

A few weeks ago PJ did a sermon talking about how we can worship anywhere we want... the golf course .. the fishing boat .. the football stadium ...  BUT. WE. DON'T.  It is important to show up here every Sunday, or to a church where ever you are, and worship with other believers.
1.  It is a huge privilege to live in a country that allows is the freedom to put our beliefs into practice. 
2.  It is commanded by God to do so ... I know that there is a verse that says to do that ... I'm not a scripture master ... I'm working on it ... but it's there!! :) 

I come here every Wednesday night to practice for worship on Sundays...
I prepare myself through out the week to prepare the songs, to learn the words, to know when I come in, when I sing, when I don't sing. 
I prepare myself through the week so that when I am ready to sing at 9:30 on Sunday morning I can literally pour my soul into what I am singing so that I can connect my spirit with the Spirit of Christ. Isn't that what worship is?  Communicating with the Spirit?

I practice my worship during the week:  Preparing the body *where I stand* *when I move*  And preparing my consciousness *learning the words*  ... So that when I am here I can give God my very best.  I don't want to bring Him my leftovers from the week, ( But the king said to Araunah, “No, but I will buy it from you for a price. I will not offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God that cost me nothing.”  - King David to Aruanah 2 Samuel 24:24 David was wonderful in worshiping God - wrote great Psalms 

I don't want to cheapen our time together by giving half a heart.  I want to bring before my King the very best of my spirit.  No one can do this for you.  I don't want to disrupt my worship to look at words, or see where I am in the song, or look at cues from the people around me... and sometimes that has to happen ... and that's ok ... 
But when I am here, I want to be sure that it isn't an experience I am seeking ... I want to make double, triple sure ... that when I am opening my mouth to praise God that I am not here for an experience but that I am here seeking God... and that's it. 
The experience is only the bi-product of the time that I get to spend with God.  

You can come seeking an experience, feel good when you get home, but crumble the moment something happens that you feel is unfavorable...
Or you can come seeking God and His love and go home with a promise of eternal life.

One thing that I knew I needed to let go of, was the idea or the thoughts that other people around me were judging the WAY that I worship.  I was timid at first ... I would raise my arm in praise and then my earthly mind would force my arm down to my side because I was worried that people thought it was weird, or I was just acting, or I looked funny ... But after being here week after week ... that part, those worries faded ... When I am directly connected to God the very last thing I am worried about is what the people are thinking of the way I worship ... I don't want to hurt anyones feelings BUT I'm not here for you ;) And you are not here for anyone else - just for God -- you are here with other believers who are in agreeance that Jesus Christ is the almighty Savior and King ... and that is all you need to know to worship.

I am here to worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment